Backing up large files to CD

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Tue Apr 27 07:27:34 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Joe wrote:

> I currently backup my system to a second disk drive using dump and
> partimage.  It works fine, but I would like to archive it to CDROM or
> CDRW.  The files are larger than one CDROM.  How do I do it?

My college roommate (I think he may even lurk here on the list) wrote just
the program you're looking for. Try multicd:

http://danborn.net/multicd/

multicd provides an easy way to backup a large number of files to multiple
CDs. Give multicd the files/directories you want backed up and it will
create as many CDs as it needs to, prompting the user to put in a new disc
whenever needed. It can be configured to run in a multi-threading mode,
where it will burn one image to a disc while it is copying files to
another image. This feature can be disabled for slower machines.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst