TV Tuner Cards and Printers

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Apr 24 13:12:12 EDT 2004

I have  deskjet HP 895Cse and a HP 720C.  Both work fine (almost).  They
run through CUPS and foomatic rips the postscript into HP's printer
language.  The only problem I have is that it prints really slowly
compared to under Windoze.  I'm not sure what this is all about, but two
factors may be:
1) It prints pretty high resolution and my attempt to change that have
only slowed it down further.  This may have something to do with the ppd
file that tells CUPS/foomatic what the printer capabilities are may not
have all the lower resolutions defined and so setting to one might be
causing double conversions, or I might just have it configured wrong.
2) On my poor old PII- 266 ripping may just take a long time.

So for me, when I upgrade printers, I want to consider a native
postscript one so the ripping is eliminated and I probably want a duplex
printer (that prints on both sides of the paper) to save trees and so
that what I keep takes up less space.

Joe

--
"Our duty, as men and women, is to proceed as if limits to our ability did not exist. We are collaborators in creation." --Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955) French philosopher, paleontologist