Atomic clock

Matt Cristantello matt at crazy42.org
Fri Apr 16 00:41:09 EDT 2004

Actually -- NTP has a nifty DNS pool set up now -- I had to set up my
server to use the following addresses for the servers:
0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org 2.pool.ntp.org

If your server doesn't have messy DNS like mine does you can just put
pool.ntp.org in 3 times. There was even something you could do to set
yourself up as a time provider in the pool.

More info here: http://www.pool.ntp.org/

Hope this helps,
~Matt

JJ Neff wrote:
| Here is some more information about time servers and the USNO time site.
|
| This seems to come up a lot.  The important thing to remember is if
you have
| more that one machine (and one is a server type) then set one to be
your own
| ntp server getting its time from public sources and have all other
clients get
| their time from it.  That way all the machines on your lan are in
sync.  So
| even if your server loses its mind (or ability to communicate with a 2nd
| stratum ntp server) all your internal machines still have the same time.
|
| JJN
| http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/
|
| http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ntp.html
|
| http://www.ntp.org/
|

| --- Darin Perusich <Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com> wrote:
|
|>ntpdate is part of the ntp/xntp package, it is used to initially sync up
|>the time with an ntp source. head on out to www.ntp.org for a list of
|>open access ntp servers.
|>
|>if you're looking for a minimal ntp configuration for your server use
|>this. these ntp hosts are both stratum 2 time sources which get their
|>time from differing stratum 1 sources. while these are both open access
|>services i recommend sending them an email telling them that you'll be
|>getting time from them.
|>
|>/etc/ntp.conf
|>server ntp0.cornell.edu prefer  #Contact: (de10 at cornell.edu)
|>server sundial.columbia.edu	#Contact: (timekeeper at columbia.edu)
|>driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift # this may differ.
|>
|>redhat uses the file /etc/ntp/step-tickers for the initial time sync. it
|>only needs to contain your primary ntp server, ntp0.cornell.edu from the
|>above example.
|>
|>if you are going to have more then 2 machines getting time from any
|>public ntp source you should setup your own ntp server. this is really
|>quit simple, point your ntp server at the above servers, and your
|>clients at your ntp server.
|>

|>Joe wrote:
|>
|>>Not in MDK 9.1.
|>>
|>>Joe

- --
"I hold it true,what'er befall; I feel it, when I sorrow most; 'Tis
better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all."
- -Alfred Lord Tennyson
~                Matthew D. Cristantello
~                matt at crazy42.org
~                716-472-3833 (cell)
~                AIM: Matt977