Next Meeting

TheCactusKid Cactus thecactuskid45 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 07:43:51 EDT 2004

SELinux sounds like something I surely would be interested in! Let us in on it! What is it all about and when is it due to be released?

tHecActUsKid:)

"Kevin E. Glosser" <keg at adelphia.net> wrote:
On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 10:36, Joshua R. Altemoos wrote:
> I plan to come to the next meeting on the 18th and i wanted to know is there any
> topics anyone are going to discuss??

I got one to throw out for you guys...

SELinux

Only recently did I become aware of it's existence. It sounds very
interesting and whether or not you care for it, it appears to be headed
to a linux distro near you.

Although, I know not which distro's intend to incorporate it. I do know,
Fedora/Redhat are already working on it. I discovered this when I
decided to try Fedora Core 2(test 2).

Fedora Core 2 is being used as a test bed for a future Redhat release.
New in FC2...

1) SELinux
2) 2.6 kernel

So what is SELinux?

Security Enhanced Linux (developed by the NSA)

from the SELinux FAQ...

"The Security-enhanced Linux kernel enforces mandatory access control
policies that confine user programs and system servers to the minimum
amount of privilege they require to do their jobs. When confined in this
way, the ability of these user programs and system daemons to cause harm
when compromised (via buffer overflows or misconfigurations, for
example) is reduced or eliminated. This confinement mechanism operates
independently of the traditional Linux access control mechanisms. It has
no concept of a "root" super-user, and does not share the well-known
shortcomings of the traditional Linux security mechanisms (such as a
dependence on setuid/setgid binaries)."

more info...

Fedora... http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/selinux-faq-en/

NSA... http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/