Cisco Password

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri Apr 2 14:15:43 EST 2004

if it uses IOS (I think it does from my web searches) you can attach a
serial cable (through console port) and do something like:

from: http://mt.oisec.net/

      Cisco Password Recovery

This weblog was intended primarily to have an easy way to type my
documents and to make them searchable commentable etc..

After looking at my webservers webstatistics, I saw some search requests
for Cisco password recovery techniques. Well then let's explain it here
for everyone to read:

1) Attach a console cable to the Cisco
2) Reboot the Cisco
3) When the Cisco shows the first sign of life start sending it breaks
(that's ctrl-F in minicom)
4) type /confreg 0x2142/
5) type /reset/
6) ... Cisco boots .... zZzZzZ ....
7) Enter no at the first question
8) voila a configless Cisco
9) now get into enable mode (but do NOT type conf term)
10) type /copy startup running/
11) voila a running cisco with full config in ENABLE mode
12) do your password changing stuff
13) type /write mem/
14) type /config-register 0x2102/ in configure mode
15) type /reload/

That was quite easy huh :)

Justin Bennett
Network Administrator