Apache 2.0.40 error and does not run

S. Johnson zatharus at ncn.net
Tue Sep 30 12:57:46 EDT 2003

Hello NFLUG users,

Bob Meyer and I were working on my Apache server problem described below
and found the following.

The Apache serve was loading a single instance of httpd, but the process
was not able to respond.
The following commands were entered:

[root at alpine3 httpd]# ps -ax | grep httpd
17409 ?        T      0:00 /usr/sbin/httpd
22633 pts/1    S      0:00 grep httpd

[root at alpine3 httpd]# strace -p 17409
--- SIGSTOP (Stopped (signal)) ---
read(77,                 ( - hung at this point, used ctrl-c to break out
back to command prompt)

[root at alpine3 httpd]# lsof | grep 17409 | grep 77r
httpd     17409     root   77r   CHR        1,8               98111 /dev/random

[root at alpine3 httpd]# cat /dev/random (hung, HERE'S OUR PROBLEM!, ctrl-c to
breakout again)

Doing a cat of /dev/random should output a random number in binary to the
screen.  Since it did not,
the /dev/random module itself is hung and since it is built into the
kernel, a reboot of the system
should fix it.  I will post back later to verify if this worked.

I big THANK YOU goes out to Bob Meyer for helping troubleshoot this.

Sean Johnson