Another approach for Dictation

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 14:05:10 EDT 2003

I'd try the VMware approach first.  I use it and really like it, though I use
it a lot less lately due to improved doc support in linux office apps.  VMware
Guest OS's run at n4ar native speed,  to get the best perf out of XP under it
disable all the multimedia fading in/out and animation crap as that WILL slow
it down under VMware, as the video device available under VMware does NOT have
hardware acceleration.

With all the "fluff" turned off vmware may end up being the best solution for
you now.  plus it's cheaper than buying a second laptop for option 3.  Just
make sure the laptop has a LOT of RAM. (512Megs or more is suggested, you could
get by with less but I wouldn't recommend it..)

My box has 768 megs and I have no prob running two seperate VM's at once with
each getting around 192 Megs each plus my main memory hungry KDE desktop.

> What I want to accomplish is running Dragon Naturally Speaking (or
> another package) on WIN XP/Pro.  I f I stop at that, the natural
> tendency for the user (Rita) will be to want to do everything else in XP
> too and if there's any way around that, I *really* want to avoid it.  So....
>
> First idea:  Get VMWare (anyone know if plex86 could handle this?) and
> run both XP and RH 9 on the same notebook (a new, fast one).  Then,
> dictate on Windoze and hot key back over to Linux for editing and
> everything else.
>
> Second idea:  Dedicate a machine to dictating and do everything else on
> another Linux box  (after transferring the files or accessing them via
> samba or null modem?).
> This would probably be the easiest - could even transfer files by
> sneakernet, if necessary, but it would require buying two notebooks and
> carrying them both around as we travel (and Rita would need to take both
> of them when she goes anywhere without me).  That's probably a lot more
> hassle (and expense) than it's worth with batteries to charge and making
> sure both notebooks are always physically secure, etc.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> "Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have
> acted, the indifference of those who should have known better, the
> silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most, that has made it
> possible for evil to triumph." --Haile Selassie (1892-1975) Ethiopian
> political leader

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk