rsync

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Wed Sep 24 20:48:11 EDT 2003

I wrote a script to use rsync to back up my /home daily to my second
hard drive.  It works dandy, but one question:

Running with an empty destination ("everything" should be copied), the
statistics at the end say it considered 15,147 files and backed up
13,580.  How do I figure out what it didn't back up?  I tried -vv which
lists exactly what it took, but not what it left.  I tried
--copy-unsafe-links and the totals went to 15,830 and 14,098.  So, the
first way 1,567 files were skipped and the second way, 1,732 files were
skipped - more!

It is running as root (su) and the command line I used was:

/usr/bin/rsync -n -a -H -z -P --delete --no-whole-file /home
/mnt/portable/homersync >> /mnt/portable/rsync.log

Joe