partitions

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 09:09:15 EDT 2003

--- Mark Robson <markrobson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, it will be there, then.  Even if I get this
> solved meantime (LOL).  I guess you'll have monitors
> to use, so I'll need to bring the kbd/mouse and box?

Remember the meeting is the 28th, not the 21st...  Bring kbd and mouse 'cuz we
don't have any in the office.

> Meantime, I seem to have lied when I said I could see
> both partitions on the 80gb drive.  When I go:
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
>
> I can get a view of the c: drive where my o/s is
> installed, and the source for the files I want to
> rescue.  I 'thought' I could just modify that to :
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/winD
>
> to make the same view true for my D: partition on that
> same drive.  I have already created /mnt/winD.
> Instead, I get this complaint:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/hda2,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (aren't you trying to mount an extended
> partition,
>        instead of some logical partition inside?)
>
> I don't remember making hda2 NTFS, but is that likely
> the problem?  How would I determine that?

Well, if you type 'fdisk /dev/hda' and then type 'p' to get it to print the
partition map, you should see what the partiton types are set to.  If it's
NTFS, you need to have the ntfs modules installed on your machine.  The linux
NTFS modules are read only and write mode is only experimental.

> Is a 'bad superblock' as bad as it sounds?  Can I
> determine that (considering my newbie-ness)?

It either means that the filesystem is corrupted hopelessly, not formatted or
the system doesn't understand the filesystem type on the drive.  It could also
mean that there isn't an hda2 partition on the drive.

> I am trying to mount an extended partition, not a
> logical partition insde; maybe I just need a different
> option?
>
> I need to learn how to edit fstab to automate this
> anyways, don't I.  Another of the skills I haven't yet
> picked up.  I wish I had the time to take classes to
> get this down.  I'm the proverbial one who knows just
> enough to get into trouble.

Cheers!

Bob