Commands to Kill XMMS

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 12 16:59:22 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 16:21, JR wrote:
> Could someone help with information on how to kill
> XMMS when it freezes.  I'm using Gnome when this
> happens in Mandrake 9.1.  I see from various forums
> that this has happened to other people as well, but
> the fixes I've seen involve a fix when something
> called Knoppix is being used.  Since that is the case,
> I would imagine in my newbie way that a kill could be
> sent from a console line.  Not sure of what to type
> there.

This is an important thing to learn. First, you want to read the man
page on "kill" and "ps". You accomplish that by typing "man kill" etc.
You can also read the man page on man, "man man".

One way to accomplish what you want, is to first use "ps" to find the
"process id" or "pid" for the process you which to terminate...

>ps aux |grep <your username>

or if you specifically know the name of the process...

>ps aux |grep <name of process>
>ps aux |grep xmms

First number listed should be the PID. Now, let's kill it...

>kill <PID>

If it still won't quit, you could try the more drastic...

>kill -9 <PID>

The above is certainly not the only way to do this. It's just the way I
would do it.

KEG