inittab

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Thu Sep 11 17:53:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, JB wrote:

> I'm trying to install my Nvidia driver and I set my start level to 3 ok,
> but I am having trouble resetting it back to 5 while in level 3. I tried
> (vi inittab) and it came up but I couldn't figure out how to save the
> changes and get out for a restart. Is there an easier editor or way to
> edit inittab? Thanks in advance...

These tips should help:

vi:

:ZZ - save and exit
:q! - quit qithout saving
:w  - save, but don't exit

There are many, many more, but those should start you off.

As for playing with X, you don't need to edit the inittab and reboot each
time you want to test X. Try some of these:

init <runlevel> - change the current runlevel to runlevel <runlevel>
cntrl-alt-backspace (while X is running) - kill off X
X (while no X running) - start X server, but no window manager
startx (while no X running) - start X server and default window manager
cntrl-alt-f[1-6] - switch to a virtual console. f7 is the X server

Holler if you need more...

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst