Sound from Cd-writer and/or DvD-rom

JR livinusa2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 11:32:25 EDT 2003

Hello,

Could you help with a particular problem I'm having in
regard to sound from CD-writer and/or dvd-rom. I am a
newbie to Linux, having said that I admit to past
unsuccessful attempts to run Redhat from 4.0 up a
couple of years.  Nowdays I have Mandrake 9.0, most
recently 9.1 installed on a separate Hard Drive in an
HP pavillion 753n.  I say say separate because XP is
on the other HD.

I have to say I've spent some time (days) unsuccessful
in getting any sound from the CD or DVD.  Both of
which I know work because of XP.  I have XAWTV working
sound wise on an old Hauppauge TV card and I can get
occasional sound from Shoutcast if I go there to play
MP3.  I am not very familiar with commands so you'd
have to bear with me on that.  I have searched various
books and several websites doing such things as
searches using various forms of the query "cd sound in
Mandrake 9.1", so far this eludes me.

Both of the icons on the KDE desktop say cd mounted
but the names are cdrom and cdrom2.  When I put the
music cd in the cd writer I click on KScD and it says
ejected.  When I put a music cd in the dvd KScD seems
to show that it is playing, but there is no sound.  I
have gone into the KMix sound Mixer and tried fiddling
with the volume but nothing works.  Can you help with
this one please.

Thanks
Jim