rsync

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Oct 16 09:44:49 EDT 2003

I just fixed my login problem by using rsync to recover files that were
lost from /usr/bin.  In the process, I ran into a little problem.  I had
restored /usr/bin from a dump onto another drive.  Then, I wanted to do
an rsync that would just restore newer files *and* missing files.  I ran
rsync with the -u flag which I thought would do that, but apparently, it
only updates existing files.  None of the files I knew were missing were
copied.  How do I get around this?  What I ended up doing, was to back
up /usr/bin before doing anything, then I did an rsync without the -u
from the restored files and then another rsync from the "before"
backup.  It worked, but it's ugly.

Any ideas on how to do this better next time?

Thanks.

Joe

--
"I think the true test of a genius is the ability to see the follies of one's own times. The ability to change one's own times is the true test of a leader. And the ability to do both is the true test of a visionary, who will never be elected. " Marilyn vos Savant (World's highest IQ woman)