Majordomo or Email lag?

green_man green_man at bluefrog.biz
Sun Oct 12 15:46:05 EDT 2003

John Seth wrote, On 10/06/03 10:45 PM:

>was: 'Re: computer "recycling" place here in Buffalo'
>
>I dunno what is happening, but alot more recently than has happened
>before, I'm getting replies to posts hours before I get the original
>message.  For example, the posts regarding the recycling place.  I got
>the original messages, then got a reply to the effect of "Thanks!"
>followed by "that number was disconnected" ... and 2 hours later, I got
>the actual original reply that contained the telephone number and other
>info.
>
>I'm assuming it's not majordomo, since other members recieve these
>messages and I'm getting their replies.  I checked my sendmail logs, and
>that is in fact, the order I'm receiving the emails in. So something is
>sending the emails at screwy intervals... any clue as to why?

I asked the same thing about a year or so ago when it was happening to me.
Darin  checked the 'domo and all was fine.
Somewhere I may still have that thread.

What it basically boils down to is the path that the messages take
through the net [the virtual distance, and number of stops they make],
and server batch times when the mail is sent out.
I have sent or forwarded messages to myself while simultaneously logged
on to two different  web mail accounts, and had transit times anywhere
from 4 sec to 18 min.
I used to think the NFLUG list was part of the Psychic Friends Network,
because answers would some times arrive hours before the questions.

--
The sole purpose of my life is, apparently, to test my sanity.

Scott
Netscape 7.0 on Win 98 SE