NFS problem

S. Johnson zatharus at ncn.net
Thu Oct 2 15:06:34 EDT 2003

Hi Bob,

Good to hear from you!
At 09:39 10/02/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, first thing that I would do is change the mount options to add the
>'soft'
>option:
>server3:/users /users nfs bg,soft,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

Referencing the sourceforge site, it says that soft mounting is a BAD thing if
you value your mail.  Here's a quote from the site:

  If a file request fails, the NFS client will report an error to the
process on the client machine requesting the file access. Some programs can
handle this with composure, most won't. We do not recommend using this
setting; it is a recipe for corrupted files and lost data. You should
especially not use this for mail disks --- if you value your mail, that is.

How will courier-imap and Postfix handle things if a request times out?  I
would still take Bob's recommendation over that of a single reference on
sourceforge.  I will do some testing using a soft mount and a hard mount
with the intr option as well.

>If you don't want to do soft mount, then add the 'intr' parameter to make hard
>mounted nfs I/O interruptable.  This means that a hung process can be
>interrupted by a signal which causes the I/O call to return 'EINTR' to the
>calling process.
>
>I would start looking at your networking parameters in all three
>systems.  This
>sounds like you might be on a 100baseT network and you're having connectivity
>problems.  On your switches, lock the ports that the servers are on to
>100BaseT-FD (100 Mbit, Full Duplex).  Then do the same on each machine
>with the
>'mii-tool --force 100baseT-FD'.

This was another major concern of mine.  I would like to force the ports on
the switch
to 100FD, but have seen bad problems if the device at the other end is not
running at
100FD.  Having a way to force the card to 100FD will be a great.  Here's
what the cards
are running at Eth1 is the interface NFS runs over.
[root at alpine3 /]# mii-tool -v
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
   product info: vendor 00:50:43, model 3 rev 0
   basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
   basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
   capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
   advertising:  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
   link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
   product info: Intel 82555 rev 4
   basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
   basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
   capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
   advertising:  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
   link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD

I will check the link status again while coping over some files.  I still
have not
checked the link settings on the switch.  Would it be safe to force the
link on
the switch to 100FD?  What about enabling flow-control?

Thanks again!

Sean Johnson