Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Wed Oct 1 21:33:29 EDT 2003

Since no one has responded yet I'll spew my 2 cents.

Yes linux does have RPC services probably the most common is NFS for
sharing files over a network. They're have been RPC vulnerabilities in
the past. They're are several reasons that linux isn't affected by wide
spread worms like MS. Linux isn't a cookie cutter OS they're are many
dists, with many diffrent configurations, it's hard (and not worth the
time) to write code to attack a large number of systems, due mostly to
the fact that they're not all the same. Many diffrent versions of
kernels, software, configs, ect, so it's hard to find a vulerability
that affects everone, you see more one box hacking, when a hacker
evaluates the security vulerabilities of a single box and attacks it.
Also it is easy to turn off alot of that stuff off  if your not using
RPC services. Also Linux has better firewalling if your directly
connected to the internet to prevent external attacks. Plus people who
use Linux are more likely to keep their system up to date than the
average MS user.

Justin

--

Justin Bennett