Slackware Questions

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Thu Nov 20 22:54:19 EST 2003

I've been pondering redoing my home system from RH 9 to Slack 9.1 as
well.  Slackware doesn't have the pretty gui interface to configure X,
and last time I configured X in slackware was w/ Slack 7.0. I may try it
this weekend since it's been mentioned.  Honestly, I have no idea if
copying the ~/.XF86config files will work in slackware, it may... can't
hurt to try?

Most driver modules will have to be manually added, or at least, that's
the way I've always done it.  Load the modules into the kernel, then
setup x and if you've got the right settings, it should work.  Less of a
hassle with PCI and/or Plug 'n Play stuff, but as far as ISA, you
generally need to supply all your IRQ #'s and such to the module,
depending on the ISA card.  I've never had problems with older 3Com ISA
Ethernet cards just by loading the module w/o any IRQ info.

So far I've only ran Slack 9.1 as a server, and haven't installed X,
sound utities or anything other than the basics for web serving, MySQL
and Samba.

Wish I could be of more help. Keep us up to date as I'm interested in
hearing how things workout.

--
<? print(pack("c*", 74,117,115,116,32,/* Tony Evans                  */
 65,110,111,116,104,101,114,32,80,72, /* Linux/Web Implementation    */