Some questions on Adelphia

Michael Richardson mtr3 at buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:17:02 EST 2003

--In a burst of eloquence, Wednesday, November 19, 2003
1:55 PM -0500 "Joshua R. Altemoos" <joshua at navyjosh.us>
usus loquendi:

> Hey,
>
> Well i know Adelphia's TOS and AUP forbid servers but do
> they mean servers that are on 24/7 and/or on reguarl
> ports. What i am trying to say is if i had adelphia as my
> boardband internet comapny could i run a webserver on a
> differnt port just to look at mail recived by fetchmail
> etc.???

IANAL, but it seems like their TOS and AUP are designed to
give Adelphia a legal backbone to punt individuals who
would be using their residential service to do the same
thing that their business class service does.

Back in the day (mind you, these docs may have changed
since then) it was explicitly forbidden. Personally, I used
run a test web server (at a different port than 80), ftp
service, vnc and SMB services through an OpenBSD server for
over
a year without incident. These were for the most part only
used by my housemates and I (read: not a whole lot of
traffic).

On RoadRunner now, and with the same setup, have not run
into any issues. And I know they have been scanning.

--
Michael Richardson