FW: Debian Question

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Wed Nov 19 13:27:49 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 rwechter at liberatortime.com wrote:

> In order to get my NIC active I have to run the following commands -
> ifconfig eth0 up (brings the interface up) then pump  -i eth0.  This
> activates the NIC and then configures it off of my DHCP server.  If I reboot
> I have to do the two commands all over again.

Edit /etc/network/interfaces. If you want a static IP, go with the top
part, and comment out the last line. If you'd like to use dhcp, just use
what I've pasted.

root at xbox:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback

#iface eth0 inet static
#          address 192.168.1.10
#          netmask 255.255.255.0
#          gateway 192.168.1.1
#          broadcast 192.168.1.255

iface eth0 inet dhcp

There is a ncurses driven way to set this up, but I can't remember the
name & editing the file above is easy.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst