FYI: [Fwd: Mandrake newsletter: Mandrake Linux 9.2 ISOs Publicly Released!]

Matt Cristantello matt at crazy42.org
Tue Nov 18 22:55:43 EST 2003

Erek,

Do you have any project names or links to the linux answering machine
projects? I'd like to set up my linux box as an answering machine/dial
up portal (for me to use when I'm on the road), but haven't  gotten past
thinking about the project.

Thanks in advance,
~Matt

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 19:03, Erek Dyskant wrote:
> Ken,
> 	Probably not.  Even if it was supported, I still wouldn't use a
> winmodem on a linux box.  You're much better off just spending the
> $20.00 and buying a used external serial modem.
> 	The problem is that winodems are basically sound cards tuned to
> the impedence of a phone line, so they use the driver to do all of the
> decoding.  This makes writing the driver much more difficult, and
> also uses a lot more CPU time than a conventional modem.
> 	I have seen some cool linux answering machines for winmodems
> thoiugh, since they are quite easy to rig for use as a phone-line sound
> card.
>

> Regards,
> Erek
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:33:02PM -0800, Kenneth Lawson wrote:
> >
> > Hello Everyone;
> >  Dose anyone know if Mandrake 9.2 will have better support for
> > winmodems. Thets been my bigest problem. I finelly got it to see my
> > modem on my Xp machine, but could never get it to use it.
> >

> >    Ken
> >
> > =====
> > Ken & Nancy Lawson
> > You may now see Our Pictures at  http://www.civilwarimpressions.com and

> > Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard
> > http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
"Kindness is the language in which the deaf can hear and the blind can
see."
-Mark Twain
        Matthew D. Cristantello
        matt at crazy42.org