Installing GCC on Debian

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Mon Nov 10 13:50:02 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 rwechter at liberatortime.com wrote:

> One issue with using the apt-get prog...I dont have a network connection -
> hence the reason why Im trying to recompile the kernel.  Is there a way to
> tell apt-get to get the packages from my cds.  I installed GCC via dpkg -
> Isnt that supposed to make all the necessary links and questions the
> dependancies?
>
> This stirs two more questions:
> What exactly does apt-get do vs. dpkg?

apt fetches packages from a list of specified sources. Mostly these are
ftp or http urls, but they can also be local disks or removeable media.
By running apt-setup, you can tell apt to look to the cds. (Or you can
manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list) But if you're using dpkg pointed at
files on the cd, you probably don't need to even bother...

The beauty of apt is its ability to get automatically fetch any additional
dependencies for what ever you're trying to install. dpkg will just tell
you package X is required and expect you to manually satisfy the
dependencies.

Other than that, apt actually uses dpkg once it fetches debs.

> What does one do if no internet connection is available?

Give up and cry - the network is the computer? or use those cds like you
mentioned above...

But perhaps this begs a simpler question - why isn't your networking
working?

1. Do you have a network connection available?
2. Is the module for your NIC/I-hope-you're-not-stuck-on-a-modem loaded?

'modconf' will handle module loading & dependencies in Debian. If you have
a NIC and a broadband connection, odds are pretty good Debian has a module
for the NIC.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst