New printer?

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Nov 8 13:09:10 EST 2003

I'm thinking about getting a new printer.  I have an HP Deskjet 895 Cse
which works just fine with two exceptions:

1) Under Linux, it prints about 2ppm at normal color resolution (and I
don't know enough to fine tune the ps to pcl process, etc. to make it go
faster).  It's a whole lot faster in Windoze.

2) It doesn't do 2-sided (duplex) printing by itself (and that's almost
all the printing I do.)  I've emulated duplex, but I still have to
shufffle the pages in out and back in, one print job at a time.

So, what I want is a similar printer that does duplex.   It has to be
fully supported under Linux, of course.  I'm not sure, but it seems like
a printer that can do native postscript (I have no idea if I need level
1, 2, or 99) would run a lot faster than one that does PCL, etc. where
the CPU has to translate all the ps to soemthing else before anything
prints.

Any suggestions?

--
"One does not discover the new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." --Andre Gide