Partition confusion

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Sat Nov 8 11:50:00 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Michael Brown wrote:

> would like to use Linux to store everything but how do I access Linux
> partitions from within windows? I mainly need access to my photos. I do

mount -t vfat /dev/<windows_partition> /mnt/point/on/filesystem

The "-t vfat" may not be necessary. You may have to load the vfat module
first too, but the mount call *should* automagically do it.

There are quite a few options you can pass to mount for vfat - man mount
for them all. You can also find information in there on how to mount the
partition on boot by editing your /etc/fstab.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst