Partition confusion

Michael Brown mwkbrown at alltel.net
Fri Nov 7 19:47:10 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 08:37, Cyber Source wrote:
> I started getting a head ache reading this one, lol,

my confusion/frustration must have come out in the email

>  so I will give you a quick reply. Things you should probably do.
> 1. Keep it simple, if this is just a workstation, go with the default
> setup of the partitions.
> 2. Keep the windows side down to a small partition, it won't get
> fragmented as bad.
> 3. Try to loose the WinME if you can, if not, install that first, give
> it say a 5GB partition at most, with a dual boot, you can use the
> Linux side to store everything.

I am not in position to switch from WinME right now. I have heard many
people complain about it but I have had good (relative to windows) luck
until now.

I setup 2 FAT32 partitions. A 5GB for windows and 15GB for files. I
would like to use Linux to store everything but how do I access Linux
partitions from within windows? I mainly need access to my photos. I do
most of my photo editing in windows.

> 4. After Windows installs properly and can start and reboot without
> problems, put in the Linux cd and boot.

this was done

> 5. Go with the auto partition from Linux and remove all previous Linux
> partitions.

this could be done....but I don't need to use all the free space. I
would like one large partition for backups/archives etc.

> 6. Install and enjoy.
> Problems that might arise....
> 1. The Linux installs that I do (RedHat) default to setting in LILO of
> "linear", if your using LILO for the boot loader that is. If you do
> not see the LILO screen after the Linux install, it has a problem with
> this line. You need to run the rescue mode from the Linux cd and mount
> your Linux install in rescue mode, change the line of "linear" to
> "lba32" in the file /etc/lilo.conf and then rerun lilo by typing
> "lilo" after you change the file. If it comes back ok, you should see
> your lilo screen on the reboot.

I can see the lilo menu fine. But if I select windows it does not boot.
It's as if the registry is missing.

> 2. If you are jumping around from different disks, you will need to
> (map) the drives in the /etc/lilo.conf file, with a statement like
> this,
>         table=/dev/hdb
>         map-drive=0x80
>         to=0x82
>         map-drive=0x82
>         to=0x80
> adjust accordingly. Hope some of this helps ya.

I have a single drive and lilo.conf says:

boot=/dev/hde
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
default="linux"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux"
	root=/dev/hde5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"
	vga=788
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux-nonfb"
	root=/dev/hde5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi acpi=ht"
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="failsafe"
	root=/dev/hde5
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="failsafe devfs=nomount hda=ide-scsi acpi=ht"
	read-only
other=/dev/hde1
	label="windows"
	table=/dev/hde