Getting Your Feet Wet

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 19:16:50 EDT 2003

--- green_man <green_man at bluefrog.biz> wrote:
> Check this.  I found it on a link from KMFMS.
> It's a CD of Linux applications that you can run from inside windows, in
> order to help you realize that you don't need M$ to do the things you
> want to do.
> Take a look at the software list, it's quite substantial - everything
> from games to development and server apps.
>
> GNU Win II <http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/articles/en/index.html>
>
> I think we should put a link to it  on the NFLUG site, in order to help
> further the OSS/Linux cause.
>
> I especially like this, from the Q&A page:
>

>         Q5: Why GNUWin II and not GNUWin 98 ?
>
> R5: Because GNUWin-II is the second version. The first one can be seen
> here <http://mapc77.epfl.ch/gnu-generation/CD/gnuwin.html>.
> GNUWin is not a Microsoft product, and we do not count "3.1, 3.11, 95,
> 98, 2000" !
>
> Regarding "free" software, both in the "costless" and "readily
> accessible" contexts, I have Quake III Arena for Linux, brand new, still
> sealed in the tin.
> It cost me $20, but if can get it running, or any  one can help get it
> running, I will gladly burn a copy for anybody that wants one, once I
> get my cd burner.

I have QIII arena running here.  Got two copies (with two codes) and installed
on the two machines at home.  I was hoping I could kick my son's butt in Linux
but he spends WAY too much time on games so I didn't stand a chance.

It's actually a pretty easy install...  I don't remember the details but it
went pretty smooth.  Make sure that you have a video card that supports OpenGL
in Linux or it won't run very well...

Cheers!

Bob