PPD Project Penguin Database

Joshua Altemoos joshua at navyjosh.us
Fri May 23 16:36:34 EDT 2003

There is a place that does linux box stats. I know the coder and the
perl script is safe to run on you pc. and if you have a problem with
people seeing you ip can you disable the ip send in config.cgi.
The Site is http://www.ns-network.net/ppd
---------------------------
Project Penguin Database (PPD), PPD is a centralized database of Linux
boxes worldwide.

How does it work?
All you have to do is run our client (which will run in the background)
and every 15 minutes (can be changed) sends information about your box's
current state to our server.

What do I need to do?
Adding your box to our database and creating live stats for it consists
of 3 steps:

1) You need to register an account,
2) Add your box to our database by filling in the needed information on
the User Control Panel page
3) Download, Configure and Start our client.

Once you have done this, our client automatically gathers and sends
detailed information about your box to our server, which then puts it
into our database.

How much does it cost?
This is a completely free service designed to show off your box.

What are the requirements?
All you need is a linux box with Perl 5 installed, and proc filesystem
support installed (if you are not sure about this, type ls /proc at a
command prompt (on linux), if there is anything in that directory then
it is installed)