Microsoft license of Unix source code

joshua at navyjosh.us joshua at navyjosh.us
Mon May 19 10:51:21 EDT 2003

This is fucking crazy the beast is still at it ...... from osnews.com

  Microsoft to License Unix Code
  By Eugenia Loli-Queru - Posted on 2003-05-19 06:29:24
Microsoft is licensing the rights to Unix technology from SCO Group, a move
that could dramatically impact the battle between Windows and Linux in the
market for computer operating systems, News.com says. Update: Please note that
Microsoft simply licenses the rights of Unix (the same way as Sun and SGI have
done in the past) and does NOT become the owner of Unix IP. SCO remains the
owner.

I had to clarify that, because people in the commenting section already jumping
into their own conspiracy theory conclusions in peril panic. Microsoft has Unix
products (for those who didn't know), so they are now licensing that right in
order to not have trouble with SCO later like IBM has today.

Late Sunday, Microsoft general counsel Brad Smith said acquiring the license
from SCO "is representative of Microsoft's ongoing commitment to respecting
intellectual property and the IT community’s healthy exchange of IP through
licensing. This helps to ensure IP compliance across Microsoft solutions and
supports our efforts around existing products like Services for UNIX that
further UNIX interoperability."