Tranfering Linux

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Sat May 17 14:25:38 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 13:56, Joshua Altemoos wrote:
> Okay Thanks after what you sia di guess haveing WINXP on the primary hd
> is not so bad. Becuase ATN linux is on the prim a 6.4 HD but i am
> haveing that moved to a 40 gig this sunday and having it slave since a;;
> the problems it would cause. I plan on having XP as FAT32.i can do this
> rigth? Thanks

Yeah, "move" the hard drives if you have to. If you are changing one
from master to slave or vice versa you may have to change a jumper on
it.

FAT32 is fine. I don't believe XP minds what filesystem you pick,
between either FAT32 or NTFS5.1. The XP installer will ask you to select
the partition to install the operating system on. It will allow you to
play with partition creation as well. It won't format ALL of your
partitions, just the primary one you install XP to. You can format the
others afterwards inside of XP.

Oh! I should point out one more thing...I ran the XP(UPDATE) installer
by booting from the Windows XP CD itself. This is necessary if you do
NOT have a previous version of Windows on the hard drive you are putting
it on. For instance, if you are installing XP to a blank hard drive. You
just boot to the CD(may have to change setting in your BIOS to do this).
During the install, if you are installing XP from a "UPDATE" CD as
opposed to a "FULL" version, you will be asked to "prove" you have a
valid version of Windows. You'll be asked to put a previous version of
windows into your CD drive. I used Windows98update CD.

At home I'm running XP on my master drive, Redhat 9.0 on my slave, with
Grub as my bootloader installed to the MBR. There are other ways to
accomplish what you are trying, but this is most elegant solution to
this specific situation.

KEG