Play Windows Media files from within Mozilla?

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Mon May 12 11:01:20 EDT 2003

Well, I searched further and got mplayerplug-in.v0.71.tar.gz from
htp://mplayerpulg-in.sourceforge.net/download.html

I untared it, switched to the directory. ran make (no errors), and then
did a
cp mplayerplug-in.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
(as directed).

Then, I went online to www.windowsmedia.com and clicked on a 56k video
in Mozilla.
A window opens up for Iplayer and I get a short burst of modem activity
(a second or two) and that's that.
Just for the heck of it, I clicked on Iplayer's preferences link.  It
says something like wait while I test your system.  I get a very short
data spike on the modem and that's the end of that too.  It doesn't come
back or do anything further.

What I done wrong?  Is it the wrong plug-in file?

Joe