Imap clients

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Mar 27 11:09:26 EST 2003

i looked at mulberry about a year and a half ago and came to the
conclusion that it's the most advanced IMAP mail reader but not very
user friendly. i thougt the UI was to broken up, you have a seperate
window for the folders, one for the message headers, etc. i can't stand
having a bazillion windows up for each application, one more reason why
i love tabbed browsing.

if you're looking for something similar to outlook then i'd say that
either netscape or mozilla are going to be your best options. i'd intall
either on a few users pc's and have them start using it. thsi way you
can get a feel for what they think, get them raving about it and then
deploy it to the rest of the company.

one thing that work for us was setting a policy that we only use
netscape as our email client, it explecitly states that outlook will not
be used. we approached it from the point of view that 99%+ of all
viruses are spread through email and that outlook it is jump off point
for those viruses through organizations, all the OLE crap. the best way
to defend ourselves was #1 a good anti-virus solution, you can beat
sophos in my opinion. #2 not using outlook, netscape was the logical
choice for us as it run on solaris and win2k. finally #3 by only support
1 client we can provide better support to the end user. after explaining
this points to management they agreed and we've never had a problem
inforcing this policy.

just some thoughts.

--
Darin Perusich