Changing screen res in Redhat 8.0

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Mar 27 08:38:13 EST 2003

Okay,

Not sure if this is where you modified the resolution section, but here is
where you want to concentrate (so long as your config centers on screen0):

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "S3 ViRGE/DX (generic)"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Note these 3 conditions:

1) The first res listed is the first one X tries to load with.  So for
me, 1024x768 is attempted first.

2) If your monitor settings are mis-configured, then X might think your
monitor isn't capable of a resolution that high.

3) If your video card is mis-configured (wrong ram, chipset, etc.) then X
might think your video card isn't capable of a resolution that high.

Hope that helps.

-Rob

> Hi all,
>
> 	Using Bluecurve/Gnome in Redhat 8.0.  I have a Dell 8100 and I want to
> change the screen res to 1600x1200.  In Gnome u can go to system
> settings/display and change it.  When I go there all the resolutions
> over 1024x768 are greyed out.  SO I edited my XF86Config file and added
> 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 and restarted X.  Still coming up in 1024x768
> and the options are still greyed out.  Can anyone help?
>
> PS I changed the res in XF86Config where it says "Supported resolutions"
> I looked for a setting like "Default Res" or something like that.
> ANyone have any ideas?

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me