Switching to Redhat

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Mar 26 10:18:26 EST 2003

I have.  That's why I asked.  In RH8, GNOME uses opaque moving of all
apps.  Along with True Type fonts, and full support of anti-aliasing, it
can really take a toll on the CPU/RAM.

Watching `make bzImage` run is bad.  It doesn't scroll....  The text
output spits out.....  in chunks.  A chunk here, a chunk there.  Moving
the term spikes the CPU load.  After moving the window, I could watch
as GNOME would refresh & overlay the text with the anti-aliasing effect.
I was able to disable the TTF & antialiasing, but I was unable to find a
way to remove opaque moving, or resizing.

I also don't run up2date, so all the packages I'm running are vanilla to
the release.  So there might be updated packages that address this.

-Rob

> as compared with kde, at least in RH8. GUI response and application
> reaction (opening and closing), seem to be way faster. Try it.
> On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 09:13, Robert Dege wrote:
> > > I'll second that. One of these days I will get into Gnome because that
> > > seems WAY fast, just still can't do simple things with it like change
> >
> > Gnome is way fast compared to what?  In my experience, KDE has always
> > seemed faster than gnome.  Either that of KDE is less CPU intensive,
> > allowing me to run more apps simultaneously without lag.
> >
> > However, this is comparing it on a 500MHz K6-2, so it doesn't take a lot
> > to make my poor xmms skip like a bad vinyl.
> >
> > Dege
> >
> > So Many Things in Life Would Be Really Funny
> > .... If They Weren't Happening To Me
> --
> Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com>

Dege