Switching to Redhat

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Thu Mar 20 11:25:11 EST 2003

*pokes his half-a-penny in* I'll have to agree with most of the email's
I've seen in reply to this so far.  It's hard to answer objectively, as
everyone is jaded more than others.  Linux is Linux is Linux, as long as
you mind your kernels ;)

I'm a die-hard slackware fanatic, but it's what I started with.  As for my
preference between RH and Mandrake, I'd go RH for a few reasons of my own.
I run RH 7.0-7.3 on my work machines... RedHat has nice features for IT
people, and my bosses for one, love to hold people accountable, and have
support contracts. It is getting better in the desktop environment too.

Since I also have a RH 8 at home, using Xwin (w/ Gnome), I tend to favor
it over Mandrake since RH doesn't always release the latest software
direct from CVS.  Less crashes, more stability.  I'm no expert on
Mandrake, in fact the last version I had was 7.2.  That release had alot
of beta software and drivers.  It was at best, "almost stable", on my home
system.

I for one, like to complile my own software, OpenSSL, OpenSSH, Apache,
PHP, mod this-and-that, etc.  It's hard to do when you can't uninstall
OpenSSL or OpenSSH due to dependencies on every known installed package.
RPM's are a hassle for me, put sometimes, they're a life saver (such as
grabbing an RPM distro of MySQL from their site... premade, just the way I
like it, and rock solid stability).

All in all... it's a personal preference, and depends on the installation
environment.  I think everyone would agree on that much at least.

--
<? print(pack("c*", 74,117,115,116,32, /* Tony Evans aka "John Seth" */
 65,110,111,116,104,101,114,32,80,72   /*  Linux/Web Implementation  */