Switching to Redhat

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com
Wed Mar 19 21:25:05 EST 2003

   For me personally, when selling Linux to IT managers RedHat has at
least a better Enterprise reputation if not in reality. We run Oracle
databases on Redhat, redhat has alliances and certification for Oracle
on their products, which means comercial support (managers like that).
They have certification and training which always is a good thing for
buisiness types. I do agree that the general RedHat release is getting
a little bloated, but that release is targeting the home user more and
more each time. If your going to use it as a server your going to do a
custom install, or in a buisiness use things like Redhat advanced
server. There are distributions that are smaller, fit on a floppy, do
this a little better, do that a little better, or fit any niche you can
think of, and most pure linux hobyisits who just love the software will
probably continue to use distrbutions tailered to their interests, like
slackware.  For a while redhat had some good configuration tools other
didn't but they'll all pretty much caught up, mandrake has some nice
tools, especially for first time users, redhat does now too. For me
Redhat is a good mix, large partners, support, training, it fits into
the enterprise mindset a little better. It goes over better with the
suits.

Justin

Joe said:
> Why, in specific, don't you like Mandrake?  Or why is RedHat better from
> your poit of view?  I just want to understand the pros and cons of the
> various distributions.
>
> Joe

Justin Bennett
Red Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer