Open Office fFor Dummies? (follow-up)

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Sun Mar 9 19:41:12 EST 2003

Joe Pollock wrote:
> Hi.  I'm thinking about switching over to OpenOffice.org from M$ Office 2000
> to save money and to make the transition to Linux easier.  I'd appreciate
> alternatives, but I'm not quite ready for all Linux-only solution.
>
> What do you folks think of OOo?
> How good is it for an end user with no computer experience (my partner)?
> How good is the documentation for use in learning it?
> Are there any "OOo for Dummies" books out there?
> Are there any compatibility issues with reading and writing MS Word files?
> What's the relationship between Star Office and OOo?  Are they pretty much
> the same from an end user's point of view (other than cost)? (I'm asking
> this because I already have a Sams Star Office Book.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe

There wasn't much of a learning curve for me at all, I did my resume on
my Dad's Win98 machine and imported it into OpenOffice on my RedHat 8
box just to see what happened. It was good enough that I did it that way
anyhow.

"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price."
		-- Richard M. Stallman