Open Office fFor Dummies?

Joe Pollock josephj at buffnet.net
Wed Mar 5 23:33:36 EST 2003

Hi.  I'm thinking about switching over to OpenOffice.org from M$ Office 2000
to save money and to make the transition to Linux easier.  I'd appreciate
alternatives, but I'm not quite ready for all Linux-only solution.

What do you folks think of OOo?
How good is it for an end user with no computer experience (my partner)?
How good is the documentation for use in learning it?
Are there any "OOo for Dummies" books out there?
Are there any compatibility issues with reading and writing MS Word files?
What's the relationship between Star Office and OOo?  Are they pretty much
the same from an end user's point of view (other than cost)? (I'm asking
this because I already have a Sams Star Office Book.)

Thanks.

Joe