RAM upgrade.

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Jun 10 22:43:14 EDT 2003

My rule of thumb is to run top & see how much swap the system is actually
using.  I personally have never had a linux system use more than 120MB of
swap.  At work, (256MB, K6 450MHz system) I can run OpenOffice, Phoenix,
gaim, 4+ xterms, KDE 3.1 simultaneously & be only hitting around 70-80MB
of swap.

It's a judgment call I suppose.

-Rob

> You can actually make a swap file and use that as additional swap space,
> thereby eliminating the need for adding another partition..
>
> However if you added more memory, you really don't need additional swap
> space (arguably you need less swap space)
> You didn't mention how much swap space you had..my rule normally is:
>
> < 128M memory, swap space = 2*memory size
>
> > 256M, swap space = memory size
>
> -Mark

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me