adelphia blocking www

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Mon Jul 21 19:15:37 EDT 2003

Actually.. the rule  you put in won't work.. you are trying to redirect
port 80 incoming on your router and then forwarding it to port 6000 on your
personal server.
As the incoming traffic CANNOT hit port 80 on the router.. that rule does
you no good.  You would have to run your webserver on a different port than
normal, and then include that information in the URL for people.

I am not sure if you can use the port information on a fully qualified
domain name.. but I do know for fact that if your port forwarding is setup
properly.. you can redirect to your server by ip address and port number..
such as
http://24.48.x.x:1080   ..where port 1080 is listening on the router.. and
redirecting to whatever port you designated your server software to listen
to.  I would think unless you changed the config's.. your server would
still be listening on port 80..

Hence..
coyote# ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L `getifaddr eth1` 1080 -R 192.168.0.3 80

At least.. that's how mine works when I actually enable it to be accessible
from the Inet.

Hope this helps ya.
Chaz03

At 07:00 PM 7/21/03 -0400, you wrote:
>hello,
>
>i've noticed that adelphia is blocking traffic to port 80/http so people
>can't connect to personal webserver running inside there network. so i
>figured that i'd do a little port forwarding to get around this yet i'm
>still unable to get to my site. now i don't think that i have anything
>misconfigured in the ipchains rules but i'm look for some clarification.
>
>i'm run coyotelinux 1.3.something with kernel 2.2.19. i've flushed all
>existing ipchains rules and ipmasadm rules so all i have is the 1 portfw
>rule. the site is www.darins.net
>
>coyote# ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L `getifaddr eth1` 80 -R 192.168.0.3 6000
>coyote# ipmasqadm portfw -l
>prot localaddr            rediraddr               lport    rport  pcnt  pref
>TCP  ny-niagara6a-b-23.buf.adelphia.net 192.168.0.3
>www     6000    10    10
>
>any ideas or thoughts on this?

"If you want others to follow, give them leadership that they can believe in."