Non RPM software upgrades

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Jul 16 21:54:16 EDT 2003

That depends whether the install routine for the upgrade was written to
install to the install location of the previous install. If you have a
compile routine, read the README or INSTALL file. If you have an rpm,
you can "less" the rpm and see where it will put the files.
As far as your install goes, RedHat does not add other operating systems
automatically to your fstab file but will add it to your boot loader,
lilo or grub. As far as other removable media goes, like cdrom's and
floppies, even zip drives, the correct mount points are probably already
in your fstab file, so by just right clicking on a blank area of your
desktop (gnome), you will see a shortcut for disks, then select which
one, be it floppy, cd, whatever. Make sure you have something in the
drives first. It will then put a shortcut to that drive on the desktop,
when your done, right click on the icon and say eject, even for
floppies, although you still have to push the button to get it out, it
will finish writing to the device that way prior to unmounting, that is
very important because when you copy stuff to your floppy, it may not
write it immediately. You should come to the meeting on Sunday and bring
the box, it will be well worth it to you and I can show you tons of
stuff to get that RedHat 9 box rockin.

--
Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com>