Kernel compile problems

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jul 10 21:38:34 EDT 2003

Actually, I had some form of an enlightenment... so to speak.  I noticed
that mkinitrd was complaining about my scsi controller driver not being a
module.  So I disable _ALL_ SCSI in the kernel config.  After running make
install, mkinitrd _STILL_ complained about the scsi driver. (Yes I did a make
distclean prior ro re-compiling ;)

This makes me think kudzu or some sort of config file might be forcing
mkinitrd to search for the scsi module.

grrr......

-Rob

> Did you read the changes file in the Document directory? You might need
> to upgrade something, such as binutils or make. Changes lets you know
> the exact minimum of everything you need to compile the kernel. It will
> be under:
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/Documentation/Changes
>
> Hope this helps.
> Bob
>

> On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 13:09, Robert Dege wrote:
> >
> > > Can you post the exact commands you fed it, and the resulting problems please?
> > > I'm interested as to why your build failed,  also, do a "du -s " in /usr/src
> > > linux.  (total disk space usage for that dir tree)
> >
> > # make dep ; make clean ; make bzImage ; make modules ; \
> >   make modules_install ; make install
> >
> > Once I started getting the errors, I broke up the make calls individually
> > to see if any of them prematurely ended.  But as I said, no obvious kernel
> > errors appears until depmod was called from modules_install.
> >
> > disk space is around 50%.  Even after the problems I downloaded 2.4.20
> > into usr/src & unpacked it.  Then tried to compile that as well, with the
> > same end results. (aka - at least 4 GB free)
> >

> > > Also some info on your distro, what version, and where did you get your kernel
> > > source (from your distro?, or from kernel.org, or elsewhere?)
> >
> > RedHat 7.3, I got my kernel from ftp.kernel.org.  It was a vanilla build
> > with no additional patches applied after unpacking the tar.
> >
> > > One last thing,  how long did it take from start to the errors in time?  IF it
> > > went REALLY fast (under 5 minutes), and you don't have something faster than
> > > 1.5Ghz, then something is wrong (incomplete tree?)
> >
> > It's on a 500MHz system with 256MB RAM.  I believe make bzImage took about
> > 40 minutes to complete, so I don't think make was prematurely ending.
> >

> > Dege
> >
> > So Many Things in Life Would Be Really Funny
> > .... If They Weren't Happening To Me

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me