Kernel compile problems

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 12:57:39 EDT 2003

--- Robert Dege <rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> > Where the depmod errors only specific to one of two modules, or for EVERY
> > module? (if for every, the make mrproper is necessary followed by a
> complete
> > rebuild), if they occur for only one or two, it usualy means you found a
> buggy
> > driver, or a missed dependancy (also a bug...)
>
> I transferred the linux src to another machine & rebuilt the code with the
> same config file.  No depmod errors.  So the problem seemed to be with the
> OS.

Did you make sure all your tools are up to date for the kernel you're building?
 (read the README file for proper versions of tools that need to be installed
to build the kernel.  MY guess is your modutils are too old, or your compiler
is one of the buggy ones..)

> However, on this second machine (RedHat 9.0), I'm now erroring out at the
> end with mkinitrd:
>
> sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.21 bzImage /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/System.map ""
> + '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
> + '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
> + exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.21 bzImage /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/System.map
> ''
> No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.21
> mkinitrd failed
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [install] Error 2

I've seen that before,  it's because you have an "alias scsi-hostadapter
aic7xx" in your /etc/modules.conf.  The problem is even removing that lines
doesn't always solve the issue, as mkinitrd see's that the aic7xx module is
currently loaded and sees that it's necessary, thus tries to force the initial
ramdisk to have it in it..

IF you compiled in your scsi module and fs module for your root filesystem,
then and initial ramdisk isn't usualy necessary. (only really used if your boot
adapter, or boot filesystem is built as a module)

> Funny thing is that I configured aic7xxx to be in the kernel instead of
> built as a module.  Oye...  I feel like I'm working with a BSOD!

Like I said above if you built in all the things you need to boot, the initial
ramdisk is probably not required. (I don't run one and I uses SCSI/EXT3 for
bootup, as my SCSI module and ext3 drivers are built into my kernel,  just
about everything else I made modular...)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk