cron

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Wed Jul 9 07:51:12 EDT 2003

depending on how sendmail is setup it will process the mail queue
(/var/spool/mqueue) every so often. this is done with the '-q[TIME]'
argument, solaris runs the queue every 15 minutes (-q15m), redhat every
hour (-q1h).

the email that your cron job sends should send the message as soon as
the job completes. the message usually doesn't get placed into the queue
unless there is a problem, can't communicate with smtp relay, can't
resolve a domain, etc.

you can view the messages in the mqueue by running mailq(1).

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
darinper at cognigencorp.com