Linux on an old notebook?

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 02:39:53 EST 2003

That's a pretty small amount of disk space but it can be done.  My real
question is whether or not you need a word processor/spreadsheet that is
Windows compatible (i.e. can import/export windows docs).  You could set up
Linux to fit in that space without a lot of home dir space available.  Samba
client will allow you to mount Windows shares without a problem.  You aren't
going to be able to store lots of mp3s on that small disk but if you're loading
them from the CDROM, it's no problem.  It's not going to be screaming
performance wise but it can be made to work.  64Meg of memory would be better
but 40 can work.  Lots of browsers to work with, too.

I like Mandrake 9.0 (9.1 in beta), Peter will tell you RedHat, some folks will
tell you Debian, others will say SuSE.  I guess I better mention Slackware
before someone squawks that I'm being prejudiced :-)

Bring it to a meeting and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers!

Bob
--- Jacob Stoll <jstolly92 at netscape.net> wrote:
> hello, i just got an old notebook from my father's company he used for a
> while. It has 120 mhz processor and 40mb of ram. 1.4gb of space on the
> hdd, and in very good shape.  In the small amount of space i have, I
> would like ideas on the best way to set up linux on it. i only need a
> word processor, spreadsheet, browser for basic internet surfing (no high
> end graphic sites or online games), way to access my files on a w2k file
> server, some games, email, mp3. That's basically it. what would be the
> best programs and/or distro to use on what i have. If i can ill take it
> to march's meeting. ( 3-16-03 )
>
> Thanks,
> Jacob Stoll

=====