Dell's Linux Compat

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 11:24:38 EST 2003

Well, if it's anything like the Inspiron series, it should work pretty well.

I recently installed Mandrake 9.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 (loaded) and
everything came up perfectly.  I downloaded the OpenGL drivers for the Nvidia
Geforce 4 that was on it and had fantastic performance.  I think that it uses a
standard modem so that should work as well.  I was impressed with the thing (I
WANT ONE!).

later...

Bob
--- Scott Lawton <green_man at bluefrog.biz> wrote:
> I get fliers from time to time with used Dell computers for sale, and have
> been thinking off and on about getting one for
> a Linux only machine. I'm thinking of a Latitude laptop with a P III. How is
> their compatability for sound, video,
> modems, NICs, etc, ?
>
> Does anyone have firsthand experince with them ?
> They're happy to tell you how Windows compliant they are because it's
> Pentium, but I don't know.
> Call me non-conformist but I've always had AMD chips.
>
> --
> Scott
> Pegasus v 4.01
>
> "There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
> those who understand binary, and those who don't."
> Richard Hubbard

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.