returned email

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Tue Dec 30 14:56:37 EST 2003

They're both right.

It's not your machine that has the virus, it's somebody else's machine
that has the virus, and that persons machine has your email address in
it.
That persons machine is sending out email using your return email
address..
The email that is being sent out is spam.

It's fairly unlikely that a real (human) spammer is using your email
address for their spams. This is because #1, your not getting a lot of
bounced mail messages (you'd be getting thousands an hour if that was
the case). And #2,
Theres usually very little reason for a spammer to use a real email
address for a return. The last thing they want to do is bring attention
to themselves..

-Mark