Selecting new PDA

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Mon Dec 22 22:45:10 EST 2003

I'm looking into getting a PDA with an external keyboard to be used
primarily for text entry and editing.  When I upload it to my PC, I'll
probably want to put it into Open Office Writer and if anything gets
submitted for publication, it will be converted to Word format.

So far, I think that a Pocket PC is unnecessary - too much bloat to
support M$.  I'm thinking about a Palm or maybe a Zaurus.  The key
issues are ease of use for a non-technical person and a really good
display and keyboard.  Battery life is important too.  On the PC side, I
do want to hot sync the calendar and to do lists, etc., but I'm mainly
concerned with getting the text files (presumably in Word format - I
don't know what else a Zaurus can do) back and forth without losing
formating, etc. (all, hopefully, in Linux).   I don't do anything fancy,
but I do use a few paragraph styles and fonts.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what works best and what you like.

I looked at the Palm Zire 21.  It seemed to have all the functionality,
but  I wasn't too sure about the display.
The Palm Tungsten E seems to do everything with a nice display, but I'm
not sure I need to spend that much.
I haven't really been able to use any compatible keyboards.  Most of
them are in bubble packs that the stores won't open.

Is there really any big deal (as far as an end user goes) about the
Zaurus running Linux?  Would it really do anything special for me
without kernel hacking, etc., which is not really my cup of tea.  It
seems like most of the applications I need just come with the PDA and
don't need upgrading ($$).

Has anyone used the Word/Excel compatibility package that comes with
it?  The sales info says it "sort of"  works and that's a bit worrisome.

What about buying one on ebay, etc.?  I would think a regular used one
would be too risky.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

--
"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford