RPM user

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Fri Dec 12 11:34:50 EST 2003

The rpm user is primarily used for ownership assignment of the rpm
package.  Do an ls -l on /var/lib/rpm.

This is the same for apache, ftp, and others.  It's design is to remove
root dependencies in the event of a security exploit on the software.

-Rob

> i have a rhel3.0 server here and rpm's shell is /sbin/nologin.
>
> Justin Bennett wrote:
> > Does the RPM user need a shell? I notice it is /bin/bash by default on
> > redhat 2.1ES. Possible security vulnerability? I notice there is no
> > passwd entry in /etc/shadow.
> >

> --
> Darin Perusich
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Cognigen Corp.
> darinper at cognigencorp.com

Dege

I'm just not up2date on my al-kee-hol-*hic* lingo
Although, I do have that slurring part down ;)