Hardware RAID controllers with IDE drives

Joseph Lukasiewicz jlukasiewicz at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 09:43:07 EST 2003

Hi,

The Alpha I was running had a similar issue.  RH did not support the RAID card as a boot device so I could not "boot" from the array.  I was forced to install a "boot" drive and then the supporting driver for the hardware...a little more exposed than I wanted since the boot drive is not mirrored or raid - but it is essentially only in use at boot time, all the system info/programs and swapspace is on the raid.

Joe

Justin Bennett <justin.bennett at dynabrade.com> wrote:
US-itek is great, got lots of stuff cheap, I bought an IDE raid card
from them, about the same price. We buy SCSI raid cards all the time, in
the scsi bios you setup what you want in the raid array and it apears as
one drive to the OS. Using the IDE card I got, It had drivers (non
linux) I set it up in the "bios" on the card, and booted to RedHat 2.1ES
install, It showed up as another IDE controller and I saw both drives.
It didn't show the raid array. I assume this may be because there wasn't
a linux driver for this raid card. It's possible the driver does the
RAID, and the card is just a couple of IDE channels. Who knows. I
wouldn't reccomend it. I wound up just doing software raid with 2 IDE
drives. I have several machines doing software raid with IDE drives, it
works out ok. I didn't look into getting a driver for it, I just went to
software.

Justin

Justin Bennett
Network Administrator