Kernel Patching

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Sun Dec 7 14:38:48 EST 2003

Slackware doesn't use Grub, only LILO ;)

I would suggest subscribing to Slackware's security email list, here's the
excerpt from installing the updated package:

--- [slackware-security]  Kernel security update  (SSA:2003-336-01) ---

Use upgradepkg to install the new kernel, kernel-modules, and alsa
packages. After installing the kernel-ide package you will need to run
lilo ('lilo' at a command prompt) or create a new system boot disk
('makebootdisk'), and reboot.

If desired, a kernel from the kernels/ directory may be used instead.  For
example, to use the kernel in kernels/scsi.s/, you would copy it to the
boot directory like this:

cd kernels/scsi.s
cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-scsi.s-2.4.23

Create a symbolic link:
ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-scsi.s-2.4.23 /boot/vmlinuz

Then, run 'lilo' or create a new system boot disk and reboot.

Basically, use upgradepkg, then rerun 'lilo' from the command prompt, and
reboot.  Try 'uname -a' then and see what you get.

--
<? print(pack("c*", 74,117,115,116,32,/* Tony Evans                  */
 65,110,111,116,104,101,114,32,80,72, /* Linux/Web Implementation    */