Kernel Compile Question

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 4 20:16:08 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:23, Robert Todd wrote:
> From the Desk of Robert Todd, Adelphia Communications:
>
> Kevin, to have the Linux box obtain an IP address automagically,
> do I need to set this option to YES (even though I have a static
> one in the 192.* block off my router)?

	Logical question and believe it or not, my understanding is you do NOT
need that. Reason being, is that option is grouped in with the above
"kernel autoconfiguration IP" category, which, if you read the help
file, indicates that the 3 grouped options that accompany it, are for
computers that wish to use services such as BOOTP(Bootstrap Protocol)
and RARP(Reverse Address Resolution Protocol). These two methods also
allow for a computer(or other device) to obtain an IP address from a
"outside" source. Using this your computer would send out a type of
broadcast message on the network with its MAC address. Then a machine or
server would respond after checking a table and give the requesting
machine its (probably static) IP address. I've only had experience with
using BOOTP on print servers. However, even those had the information
locally and really didn't need BOOTP. This was just the way we did it,
where I used to work.

This is atypical of a "common desktop computer" which might use
DHCP(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). I honestly won't say I am 100
percent sure about this, but I believe I am correct. I just did a recent
install of Fedora and don't have my previous kernel config files to look
at, to verify. However, I don't believe this is ever an option I have
included. Although, i have to admit that currently I am not using DHCP.
I'm using a Linksys cablemodem/router and am statically assigning IP
addresses behind it, in order to do some port forwarding.

I'm sure, that IF I am wrong, someone on this list WILL chime in and set
us both straight. The help file for the "IP:DHCP" option is very
confusing and I believe outright misleading, UNLESS you read the help
file for the encompassing "IP:kernel autoconfiguration" as I mentioned
above.

Did that make any sense? I hope so. :) Let me know if not.

As for question two, where to download Fedora Core 1 iso's, I used the
web site mirror list. I was planning on getting it from UB, but the FTP
site was at capacity. I ended up downloading them from Duke university I
believe. I didn't monitor how quick it was, I started the
download(Adelphia cable modem) and just let it go for a bit.

If you have trouble getting them, or you are on a phone modem
connection, I'm sure someone on the list might be able to download and
burn you a copy. I'd do it myself, but I rarely attend meetings.

KEG